Brave Browser Review: Should You Ditch Google Chrome

Last Updated: 


Brave Browser Review: Should You Ditch Google Chrome

In this Brave Browser Review, we will look at how the Brave browser is different from other browsers in terms of performance, features, and much more.

As the digital era is expanding and is penetrating each and every aspect of our lives, concerns have been growing about online privacy and protecting your data from the prying eyes.

Protecting your privacy online can seem like an overwhelming task, especially if you don't know what you are doing. However, In this post, I am not going to talk about all the steps you can take to protect your privacy online (not in the scope of this post), but I am going to tell you about a browser that claims to be the best in protecting you from the prying eyes.

So let's get started.

What is Brave Browser

What is Brave

Brave Browser is just like another browser that lets you navigate websites and access the internet. Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software, Inc. based on the Chromium web browser. Brave Software was founded by Brendan Eich (Creator of Javascript and former CEO of Mozilla Firefox) and Brain Bondy.

What makes it so special than other browsers

Brave Browser

The brave browser claims to be better at protecting your privacy online. It does this by blocking trackers and stripping online ads from websites. Most advertising platforms use techniques to try to identify you and track you as you move across the web.

The brave browser blocks all this, allowing you to browse freely. Combined with private search engines you can further enhance your privacy.

Brave also eliminates all ad trackers that site publishers deploy to identify users so that they know what other sites you have visited and what links you have clicked on the page. This information is then used to show products similar to ones purchased.

But you may be thinking, won't block of ads harm publishers who rely on advert income? Well yes, but Brave has a solution to this problem and that is Brave Rewards and BAT (Brave Attention Tokens).

Brave Rewards and BAT (Brave Attention Tokens)

Brave Attention Token

Since Brave blocks all ads on a website and to minimize harm to the publishers who rely on advert income, Brave will scrub all the ads on a website and then will replace those ads with its own ads (shown as operating system notifications) which are not individually targeted ads.

For each engagement with the ad, you earn BAT, a kind of cryptocurrency based on Ethereum blockchain. With BAT you can make contributions to websites you love, and tip users on other sites including Twitter, Youtube, etc. Content creators receive the contributions in the form of cryptocurrencies if they opt in to the system.

Every month you earn 70% of the BAT revenue from the ads you see, while Brave receives the remaining 30%. According to Brave, a typical user earns around \$5 a month, however, that figure can vary depending upon the region and other factors.

In future Brave says you will be able to trade it for gift cards and other services.

Brave Browser Performance


Brave is built upon Chromium (the open-source project Google and others maintainers), the same engine on which Google Chrome is built. Brave has stripped Google-specific code out of its Chromium engine.

This means you can use Brave without worrying about Google spying on you. Also, you can install extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

Since Brave blocks all the ads and trackers from websites this means faster page loads. According to Brave, it can load major news sites up to six times faster than Chrome, Safari, and Firefox on mobile and desktop.

Compared to other popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and Opera the distinctions are so slight, however, you’ll probably never notice a shift in performance between one browser and another.

Coming to the memory use Brave uses less memory per tab than Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

Conclusion: Time to Make the Switch To Brave Browser

Brave browser has quickly gained popularity for its privacy protection features and BAT (Brave Attention Token) currency model to support publishers.

I have been using it every day and I'm quite liking it. Brave browser is available on all major platforms including Linux, Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.

So go ahead and give it a try and share your views in the comment section below.


Tags:  browserreviewprivacyalternative
Dinker Thakur

Dinker Thakur is a tech enthusiast who loves to write and read about technology. His area of interest include Artificial intelligence, IT security and consumer electronics.